November 12, 2006

Don't I Know You?

I think it was an old Goosebumps story--yes, those wonderful R.L. Stine masterpieces of our youth--that started leading me to a particular type of daydream where I question if the world really exists for anyone else. Or for that matter, if there really was anybody else. As I type this, I realize that this is a rather self-centered daydream, but go with me here.

In the story, (I think it had a tent on the cover, but I'm not sure), some camper was terrorized by some unknown "thing." I think there may have been aliens involved or something. Long story short, the entire world was created as a test for him. Nothing else really existed, or at least the people in it were simply acting out a role. Ever since reading that book, I occasionally find myself wondering if the world does revolve around me--like if teachers I don't have just don't exist or if maybe there really isn't a place called Seattle. My world is only what I know, and everything else is simply "made for TV." It's a backwards, though interesting, way to gain some perspective. But really, this was all just background to explain what got me thinking about this tonight.

As I was walking home from Mass this evening, I passed a guy that looks like a guy we all went to school with. He was a couple years younger than us, kinda hung out with the theatre people, and knew Mike. I think his name was Patrick, but the last name escapes me at the moment (Sullivan?). Well anyways, as I am walking down the street, I see these two students walking in my direction, and one of them looks exactly like Patrick. Dead ringer. But as he passes, I hear him answer the typical freshman question of "What's your major?" with "Theatre and English. I'm a double." Now here, I do a double-take. I can't help but think to myself, "I know this guy." Which leads me back to my daydream. Did he just get recycled--or typecasted? I see an awful lot of people that look like people I know or used to know...maybe, just maybe, it's them again. Does that thought creep anyone else out? I'll ask you next time I see you; it's the only way I'll get a real answer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

why does the fact that he was answering "what's your major?" make him a freshman? If he was a few years younger than us, he could still be in school there, so he could be the guy you knew.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://lnncfhew.com/zfvz/zkny.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mcfbekiq.com/cwev/qzou.html]Cool site[/url]

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://lnncfhew.com/zfvz/zkny.html | http://pzozrhsh.com/itao/hmeb.html

11:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's creepy Spencer. That doesn't happen to me too often. I do get deja vu though, where I'll feel like I've already seen this "scene" of my life. It's never anything important, just people talking. But I'll be positive I've already lived that specific conversation, in that place with those people.....

9:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

P.S. How come my blog's not on your link page? :( Sad Sarah

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home