June 26, 2005

So...This is What It Feels Like to be Overqualified....

So apparently many have noticed my facebook reference to working at McDonalds and have inquired as to whether or not I was "lovin' it." Sadly, I may never know.

I sought employment at McDonalds for a night job to make a little extra cash money, right? I'm not above a little burger flipping, and I've always loved the way "Would you like fries with that?" has rolled off my tongue. I always felt it was an amusing gift, but surely not a talent I would have to utilize. But alas, I found myself at the golden arches, filling out an application that reminded me at every step of the wonderful career path I had chosen. So I turned it in and the manager looked it over, engaged in a little small talk about high school, said that her brother was a TKE, and that she was sure she could help me out. While I was glad to have a job offer, after being shot down at Bruno's, Dollar General, and Rite-Aid, among others, it did occur to me that this was McDonalds. I was now that guy. I have a college degree and I'm working at McDonalds. That's right...I am single-handedly decreasing the value of all of your diplomas! Take that, my fellow alumni!

So the manager asks me to come back Sunday at 3:30 to fill out some paperwork and we could get started. At this point, I was a little jazzed about getting to wear those cool green shirts with the awesome black visor, so I left on a little bit of a high. Sunday rolls around, as does Tropical Storm Arlene. Hardly a force to be reckoned with, I know, but at 3:30 pm it was at its worst where I live, and my baby Sentra was practically floating. But hey, I am not one to slack off, even at McDonalds. Being the good employee that I am, I drove up there anyways. There is not one customer at McDonalds, but I did find the manager, who surprised to find me there said," Wow! I didnt think anybody would show up, so I didnt even bring the paperwork. My bad. Can you come Monday after you get off work?" Being very understanding about the whole thing, but questioning her managerical abilities, I assured her I would be there. So I launched from the McDonalds parking lot and sailed on home.

Quitting time arrives on Monday, so I head back to McDonalds, ready to dazzle my new coworkers. I walk in and get to the front of the line and this is the exchange:

"Hi, welcome to McDonalds! What can I get for you?"
"...The manager..."

He now looks puzzled slightly (probably wondering what to charge for that or if I would like it supersized), but calls over a consultant. I inform the ominpotent assistant manager that I was here to fill out paperwork and to see the manager. He too looks puzzled. Curious myself now, I asked the obvious question--"Is she here?" I am now told that she is not, and in fact, is on vacation for the rest of the week. Awesome. Well I am now positive that she has taken some executive training from Wal-Mart in customer service and human resources. I politely thank the two young men and head out the door, quite probably never to return.

So next time someone asks if I'm "lovin' it," I think I'll respond with the old saying, "It is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home