June 15, 2009

Red Sox (2-13)....But What a 2!!

I figured that it was about time I memorialized my team. For those of you who do not know, or for those of you who wonder why I am randomly sending you the box score for Little League games, I am coaching a Little League team this year with one of my law school buddies, Nick. We both did Sports Law together and basically ensured that despite general apathy running rampant at the law school, we would have intramural teams each year. So, it's a good fit. We were bored and wanted something to do, so we jumped in.

Nick is "manager" and I'm "head coach." That means that he has all of the "responsibility" and has to carry the heavy equipment bag. We generally split the duties. He coaches third base and I keep the book and serve as bench coach. Other than that, we pretty much talk pregame and throughout the game to make any decisions. We've also got a "go to" dad, which makes life a lot easier. He's hilarious, too, so that's an added bonus.

Coach Nick and I discuss last-minute line-up changes.

We, the Red Sox, are an expansion team this year, so we only have two "returning" players, i.e. 12-year-olds. That means we have eight 11-year-olds. We are young team, and it shows....most notably in our record....and our ERA. Still, they've gotten a lot better, and next year we will be loaded. Everyone's had a blast (I hope), so no complaints.

Below is the team:
Front: Nate, Calvin, Nathanial, Bobby, Jacob
Back: Nick, Sam, Luke, Joey, Tom, Will, Me

I told you we have fun. This picture was taken after we lost to the previously winless Padres by a score of 12-2.


In case you all are curious, which I'm sure you are, here are some fun facts about our team:

1. I am the only person in the above picture wearing a youth small jersey.
2. Coach Nick has never seen a baseball game without sunglasses.
3. If you are in Timbuktu and want to know how many outs there are, ask Calvin. He'll know.
4. If you instead want to know where the play is, ask Nathanial.
5. If someone asks you who the greatest (insert position here) in the world is, the answer is always Will, or so we're told.
6. We've lost five games by one run and three on walk-offs.
7. Our first win came against the first place team on a walk-off RBI double by Jacob, on his birthday. Look for the made-for-tv movie on USA this fall.
8. Our second win came on a triple play. I can't make this stuff up.
9. The above picture was taken on the first day this season that I have not had to wear long-sleeves under my jersey.

Go Red Sox!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the kid talking to the coach at 3rd base?

Rally cap and all. Looks like fun despite the record. Must have been a character building year for the whole team.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home