July 22, 2005

Chapter One

Here is Chapter One of my untitled story. Give me feedback...let me know if I have truly captured the over-the-top style indicative of this period.

Chapter One

Sitting in the rather ornate and yet undersized space known as Dragon Investigative Services, Inc., I had come to realize it was the perfect fit for a recovering alcoholic, ex-lawyer turned private eye fresh off a bitter divorce and an all the more bitter marriage of seven unbearable years who’s fallen off the wagon so many times that there is permanent damage. Finding my way here more by accident and a bad case of the shakes than any real sense of purpose, I had lucked out.

“So what’ll it be?” inquired the lanky gentleman positioned behind the marble counter, sliding a clipboard across the smooth surface.

“Martini-neat,” I replied, more out of instinct than any desire to quench that insatiable beast within me.

He gave me a quizzical look, perhaps considering whether honoring a man’s drink request at 9 a.m. was proper social etiquette. Apparently deciding against playing bartender, he tossed a pen embossed with the DIS, Inc. logo, a beautifully elegant Chinese dragon, onto the clipboard. “I was referring to your business here, Mr….?”

I had not yet considered why I was here, which left me in a rather unusual state of confusion and contemplation. I certainly did not want to tip my hand too early, but playing blind had never worked to my advantage. Gambling, I offered the first name I could conjure up in the haze of my conscious mind, “Johnny Walker.” I extended my hand expecting an introduction, but instead was met with a small chuckle and a slight headshake. Apparently I had a one-track mind this morning.

“Okay, Mr….Walker. Just sign-in and the boss will be with you soon.” There was humor in his voice, but it sounded almost like pity. He left the room with little sound, leaving me in silence, except for the scratching of the pen as I searched the recesses of my mind for a reason to be here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the first chapter. the tone and metaphorical phrases are perfect. my only negative critique: there are few, if any, understanding people (esp bartenders) in hard-boiled stories. mostly, everyone's dark, shabby lives are empty, save for the desires for women, money, drink and violence. it's a great start, though, keep going! -Sarah

10:46 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I like it. And if it has Sarah's seal of approval, it must be good. She is the expert. Throw in a red herring!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

hahaha! I really like it. Please continue!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

I like it. It seems that everyone in this chapter is confused, though, which seems to make me want to read on.
Perhaps, after reading Sarah's comment, I was mistaken in understanding that the fellow behind the counter is not, in fact, a bartender at all? You'll have to clarify in an additional chapter.
Looking forward to it.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home